My mom had asked probably 3 months ago to get a cd player but as usual I chose to procrastinate as it has been the prevalent choice for a long period of time in my life so far. However after leaving home my lazy conscience decided to wake up and do something about the cd player. The first store I checked told me that the cd player I buy here will have a region code so it would not work everywhere. I did not bother to check any other store (which I kindaa regret now) and mailed up my best friend that I need a cd player to be delivered at my place. It sounded like an order and not a request. To my disgust he came up with a lame excuse, he was travelling, he did not have money as if I would not pay...blah blah and he did not reply to my follow up mails.If I had been in his place I would not have replied to the first mail as well.
I chose to try my luck with friend nr.2 , after telling him about the cd player I have not seen him online yet. But I just wanted to let him know he is still my best friend, no matter what and I would screw his happiness when I see him next time.
I was pretty disappointed, I was desperate to get the gift. So I tried my luck my friend nr.3 and I got an out of office reply. I was happy that I did not get rejected here and was downloading my frustration on my colleague who used to work in mmbai. After a couple of calls he told that his friend would be able to do the needful.
Now the challenge was to make the whole episode look like this thing was sent from Germany and not bought from Andheri. Mallus are fixated by imported goods and my dad loves the Made in Japan tag , probably my ancestors had some links with those of Akio Morita's (Chairman, Sony Corp). So the player was bought in Andheri, I had to get it transported to my hometown at the other end of mmbai suburb and this task was given to my best friend from school who stays close by.
He was given precise instructions to remove any label which would show it was bought in India.
But to my bad luck he did not see the guarantee card having the dealer's address in the last page and my coup was foiled. When my brother told me about this I did not call home for the next 2days. Finally when I did my dad expressed some disappointment about my lie and then went to lecture that why goods made in china can never match in quality with those made in Japan. He also reminded me that some 2 decades ago some relative from Germany had got a stereo player and this funda of region code was not a problem then.
Aneways I could not pull this out as I would have wanted but my mom was happy and the latest complaint was my Dad was not allowing her to operate the new 3-in-1 player. Probably I should have sent 2 of them, and next time I will start my search well ahead of time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment