A wednesday, the day before Christmas as I kept praying for things out of reach I'd decided I'm not gonna spend the eve in disillusionment. The day had started on a terrible note, as usual I'd tried my best to cover up yet another sleepless night but this time my detective mom was upto the task. All I could manage was a dumb stare to her battery of questions and thankfully she's getting used to it.
I was glad to step out of the house, another habit of mine which I need to curb, ran into my brother and his bunch of friends. I knew it would be tough to lie to him every wednesday but somehow I knew he was aware of it but turned a blind eye.
As I sat through the sermon I was hoping for some relief, but it was the regular stuff priests love to strut on such occasions like dont drink, dont make merry and there's more to Christmas etc. etc. One quote from the priest that prevented me from falling asleep was God loved the common man so much that he created so many of them and that Christ himself lived the life of a common man. This got me interested since I realised one could sense God even in the mundane trivialities in the life of a common man.
After the mass I waited for some time and then some more but I had tall expectations which had to be quashed. Finally when I left to meet a friend whom I'd ditched the previous day thanks to work, which pops up only at the most inopportune time, he was kind enough to trust me the second time.
Since we were meeting after a year we had a lot of catching up to do, we were keen to have a peek in the detailed screw-ups we had indulged in the past 1 year. The only screw up of the eve was when we decided to watch the latest SRK flick and ended up screwing up our 3 hours. The emotional melodramatic stuff these movies come up with again and again may not invoke the same feeling but it does provide some comic relief.
We came out of the movie hall with a not so good feeling having wasted both time and money, that too in such recessionary times. By now my friend was getting impatient to know my story which had made me such a big fan of John Denver. In the beginning he expected this to be yet another futile sob story that I come up with but by the end he was pretty jealous of my current position irrespective of the pain and misery it bought along. Like most of my friends he convinced me that whatever is gonna happen will turn out to be in my favour.
On our way back home we took a brief halt at his alma matter church and school. On Christmas eve just like the priest had preached, we were away from the commercial stuff, merry making and the drunken revelry and nor did we try to be part of the supposedly faithful who hope for redemption every year and then get on with their phony lives.
As we left the church thanking God with a prayer on our lips we did not hope for the best, we sought courage to laugh at ourselves even in the midst of our self created mediocre adversities.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment