Sunday, September 23, 2012

Labour joys

It was friday the 13th, and as usual I was thinking that I will be finished with the appointment soon and then I will be on my way back to my work waiting for a phone call to race home back and rush to the hospital. The doctor would make her causal remark to my wife - 'oh you look normal, nothing to  worry, any pain is part and parcel of pregnancy'. And I would love to add- see I knew it and I told you so. But that day the doctor said the cervix has opened up and this could be the day. We were prepared all this time but this revelation seemed a tad bit early. We diidn't wanna go home and hoped to stay around the hospital. Reluctantly we drove home, we had mixed feelings. We were happy and at the same time anxious how the delivery would go. I could talk on, but I knew I could never sense the amount of pain my wife would undergo, I could just witness it with sheer helpness.
After waiting for a day we realised it wasn't supposed to happen so soon.  Another week passed by and  we looked forward to the next friday appointment. The doctor was pleasantly surprised and this time she did not want to make a prediction and just told it could happen anytime. In all this I could recollect my wife showed weakness on the outside but seemed to be calm and composed on the inside and I was exactly the opposite. When I came back from work that evening my wife was explaining with great delight that the baby is trying to find its way down and it was happening for hours. Thank God she's so expressive that she cared to share these thoughts with me and only now as I write I realise those were blessed moments we got to experience on that day.That night as we said our prayers we did not realise that our prayers were going  to be answered very soon.
At 2:30 on  saturday night the 21st day of July my wife woke me up and told me the pains were coming just like the doctor told us. A niggling pain at the back every 5 mins and the baby trying to find its way out slowly and gently. My mother -in -law woke up and made us coffee reminding us this could be a long ordeal and she was quite a calming influence on us. We landed at the hospital thinking this would take quite some time.
My wife was taken into the casaaulty for some tests and I was called in for filling forms. A little while later my mom-in-law was right behind saying that Solly was being shifted to the labour room. It did not sink in then, only when I was inside the labout room, I realise that is going to happen so soon. The pains were growing, tears swelled in her eyes and she clasped myhands tight. The doctor was rubbing her own hands as she was woken up from sleep for this delivery, probably a routine for her. Regular contractions and the pain was growing, I did not what was happening.
Int  the midst of this commotion the doctor summoned for the suction pump and it did not seem to work. For a moment I could see blood and then chose not to look. The next moment I could hear the first tiny sounds, baby covered in blue wax kind of thing and the doctor told me it is a girl. My wife let out a cry, she turned out to be braver than I expected. My head was spinning, I'd to sit for a moment. The doctor told me if I crash she will not attend to me. Our prayers were answered, around 4:40 am baby Melissa was born. Our lives were about to change or rather blessed from that moment. On Day 1 baby was blue, on day 2 she was red and on day3 she was yellow, daignosed with Jaundice. In  a week she got my colour and the next few months we know would be spent on sleepless nights and guessing whether she looked like me or my wife.
We thanked God, thanked the doctor who lived up to her reputation and helped us with a normal delivery and a normal healthy baby.

No comments: